Phase 1 (weeks 1-2)
- Static adductors
- Lying supine, legs straight, with soccer ball between feet. Squeeze the ball using adductors. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Lying supine, knees bent with soccer ball between knees. Squeeze the ball using adductors. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times. Force applied should be just below pain threshold.
- Ab curls, 3 x 10-20.
- Reverse curls. Ball between knees, crunch shoulders and knees together from stomach. 3 x 10-20.
- Wobble board. Five minutes of balance work.
- Slideboard. Gentle movements side to side on slideboard, keeping feet fully on the ground.
Perform this routine three times per week.Phase 3 (weeks 3-12)
Perform five sets of 10 reps of each of these exercises:
- Side-lying adduction. Lying on side, top leg bent, bottom leg straight. Lift bottom heel upwards.
- Side-lying abduction. Lying on side, top leg straight, bottom leg bent. Lift top heel upwards.
- Gluteal leg raise. Stand with hips touching physio couch. Lean forward so upper body is supported by couch, hips flexed to 90 deg. Lift legs off the floor until hips are fully extended.
- Standing adduction with leg pulley. Attach cable pulley to ankle, perform adduction movement standing next to machine.
- Single leg squats.
- Fitter. Five minutes balance work on the Fitter machine.
- Slideboard skating. Five sets of one minute simulated skating on the slideboard.
Perform this routine three times a week.